View Single Post
Old January 20, 2017   #21
txtstorm
Tomatovillian™

So, as to reasons for grafting, I'm doing it mostly for increased vigor/production and, possibly drought tolerance. I've not had any issues with soil borne diseases (KNOCK WOOD) over the years, but here in North Central Texas, it gets crazy hot and we're usually in some level of drought.

Has anyone noticed better drought tolerance or increased production through grafting? I've really only grown one grafted plant that was gifted to me by a local nursery. It was a brandywine grafted to and unknown rootstock (I think it was a Mighty Mato product). It produced 3 tomatoes and they were wonderful. But there were only 3 of them.

I've got what is supposedly a landrace variety that somehow survived the Texas summer last year with pretty much no love at all. I thought it might be good to experiment with it as a rootstock.

EDIT: I'd like to add that if I can get a method down that works, I would love to try grafting two varieties to the same rootstock. I've got a small garden and I'm always wanting to plant more varieties than what I have space for.

Last edited by txtstorm; January 20, 2017 at 12:12 PM.
txtstorm is offline   Reply With Quote