View Single Post
Old January 7, 2018   #220
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Back in Sept-Oct I cleaned out my micro seed crate to organized the next order.
At that time I made a few mixes using up some sample seed of this and that.
Mixes using similar growth rate and size as to not compete and shade out smaller
seed. Yes, some commercial 'mixes' are not so satisfying...
Just now experimenting with the fresh seed I just received. Also need to get the
weight amount down for each tray.

I have everything I desire for some good trials and mixes. Good color also.

Black-out does not necessarily mean 'black', just out of direct sunlight. Just like any
germination that does not need light. Damp, not wet, maybe some bottom heat, and
good air flow once germination starts.

Weighing down the trays heavily and stacked, for peas especially, is to keep them in
solid contact with the soil. Otherwise the root and cotyledon will pop up and curl well
above each other and loose contact with water/soil. The commercial growers like
Curtis Stone do it to also save precious space while previous trays are growing, off
to market, then stacked trays are ready for light, re-peat. It's a dance that I do in
small scale.

Just like growing seed for the garden, we all have different variables in climate, temps,
moisture. Reviews for every different type of soil and those dozen varieties of mats vary.
Some love it, I have love/hate. Prefer soil. Bottom water wicking. Sunny window once sprouting,
in a dry room, is always best from my experience. Downstairs under lights where it is 62-65 is
just a slower growth.

The 'sprout', 'microgreen', 'baby green', is a marketing coined term, not a botanist distinction.
'Microgreen' is anything up to/including the first set of true leaves. I don't cut and refrigerate.
I bring up a tray or three and place on a shelf above my prep in the kitchen. Good to cut
fresh for easily a week. Just under the LED under cabinet lights. A little seaweed dilute Fert
seems fine. I do have some worm castings. Forget I have them. First set of true leaves is
where the good color and leaf shape develops that I love. Still just 3-5 inches over that
kitchen growth through the week. Some trays jump to 6-8 but still gorgeous and delicious.

Some swear by the hydroponic liquid foods.

Non of us are 'tweezer' micro restaurant chefs. (Tiny bright red amaranth decoration). I want bang
for the buck healthy greens and fast. Tendril peas are pretty but get woody fast I have learned.
Tender stalks and meaty spicy greens fit our needs. Buckwheat is under 7$ a pound. Diakon and Red
Rambo radish also cheap.

We share a lightly dressed side salad with every meal every day. Different greens in every mix keeps
it interesting. Fresh cut is a win-win.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote