View Single Post
Old April 30, 2017   #20
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
So I have a question or two.
Are you guys general contractors framing contractors or what?
The other question is what and or who do you have for the work as in the carpenters roofers plumbers and so on.
Are they from Mexico and south or what.
This is about the most polite way I can put it.
By the time I was going to graduate from high school I had made my mind up I was going to build houses.
By that time I knew how to wire houses do plumbing frame roof, lay stone and brick and foundations.

In the senor annual they put down the prediction I was going to own a construction company.

I went in the marines and when I got back went in the oil field.'After that I moved to Austin to be a carpenter.
All I was working around was meth heads and low life's so I ended up in a cabinet shop making raised panel doors and setting up and running the wood molder.
Pretty much had the run of the place and was more or less a mill wright
My biggest job was I built over 300 raised panel doors for one house.
The pay just wasn't there so I moved on and now I am in fire protection and low and behold the same thing is happening with it as is the other trades I have been in.
There are very few non Hispanic whites in any of these trades anymore and the wages have dropped considerably.
Even then I make twice as much per hour as many of the people I work around due to being inadvertently or unwillingly put in lead positions.
I would give anything in the world to build again but it isn't going to happen here in Texas or at least I dont think so.
The quality of the work is so bad it makes me sick I cannot compete with it.

Last week I had to have my work inspected before I went on.
Both buy the GC and my boss.
Both of them replied on two separate occasions Wow fantastic ^&*%ing Wow is all of your work like this?
Yes I replied it is the only way I will do anything.
All it was, was my exposed conduit runs and mounting door mag hardware.

Worth

Four old carpenters (including myself) and my 35 year old stepson are building it. One of the carpenters is the GC. Basement was subbed out, we are doing all the framing, widows, doors, siding, cabinets, trim etc. Metal roof, stone work, HVAC, electrical, and plumbing all subbed out. Just got 6-8" of rain, will be a muddy mess tomorrow. We do quality work, and work well with each other. Basement is framed, floor joists on first floor installed and sheeted and half the walls are framed and up... I've got about 60 hours of labor in it so far, it's going up quick.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote