Thread: Mat-Su Express
View Single Post
Old August 21, 2017   #164
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

I received some seeds from Cole Robbie this year and planted about 20 plants. Production has been ok, many smaller kidney shaped ones up to about 10 days ago. I am now getting rounder shaped ones and they are coming in well. Most are smaller and my market dictates larger tomatoes, so not many sales of this variety.

Enough of the pessimism though, I will definitely grow this one again. I like the taste better than any of the varieties I have grown (sorry Cherokee Purple, I still love you).
It is pretty complex in its flavor, but it hits my taste profile for sure.

There was a annual Tomato festival in a nearby town that I went to this past weekend. They had a taste testing of about 15 different varieties. I brought in some Matsu Express tomatoes for the tasting. Those who did taste it either loved it or hated it. Go figure?? They cut up the tomato in such small chunks that I don't really think people got the true taste of the tomato-many times just the skin chunk. I think that so many people are so used to typical R & R hybrids that they have eaten for years and years that they don't understand what a good tomato with good balance tastes like. Oh and by the way, I did enter it in the "best tasting" tomato contest and it won, so at least the judges knew a good tomato when they tasted it!
Urbanheirlooms is offline   Reply With Quote