Thread: composting?
View Single Post
Old January 25, 2012   #3
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedog55 View Post
So when it warms up at what point to I stop put the stuff from the kitchen out there so mother nature can break this stuff down and I can put 3 tomatoes in there come mid may?
This is what I do and I am by no means an expert but this works great for me.

Once the plants are out in the Fall, I dig holes all over my garden and start composting in the ground. I go heavy with all kitchen scraps until the ground freezes..... Every raw kitchen scrap available.
Once the ground freezes, I go with coffee grounds and egg shells on top of the soil.

When the ground thaws out in mid March or so, I again start composting everything in the ground again. I usually stop around May 1st. Planting around here is usually the third week of May through Memorial Day.
When I start putting the tomatos in, I have a very hard time finding any scraps that I have put in the ground. Everything seems to be gone.
Nothing but awesome looking soil and happy worms!

During the growing season, I'll keep dumping the coffee grounds and egg shells in the garden.
Might not be the expert way but I have no problem with 10 foot tall tomato plants and an extremely bountiful harvest.

No reason to change things if they are working.