View Single Post
Old July 25, 2020   #13
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
This is my first year trying Cajun Jewel okra. The catalog description from Southern Exposure says, “Dwarf-type, 2½-4 ft. tall spineless plants produce an early crop of tender 1 in. diameter pods up to 8 in. long.” Well, it might not get as tall as other okras but it sure makes up for it in width! This morning that sucker measured 3’ tall and 4’wide.

I’ve found that it is really multibranched, starting near the bottom. And the ends of every one of those branches is loading up with okra flower buds! I initially missed some of the first pods because they set so low I didn’t see them under the huge leaves. Tender at 8” might be a stretch but my pocket knife has easily slid into 6” pods.

They’ve been pretty dense plants but it almost seems as if it’s starting to open up a bit as it gets a little taller. I haven’t eaten any yet but should have enough coming on to try some this weekend. This one will be a fun one to watch!

It looks like you have some snail holes in a few of your leaves. I fought them early in this season, but stopped when I realized the holes were not effecting the plants over all.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote