View Single Post
Old March 18, 2018   #43
Tiny Tim
Tomatovillian™

FourOaks, I'm not so sure I'd trust a comparison chart or graph. LED's measure light spectrum using PAR. HID measures using Lumens.

Either way old school growers will always favor HID, new growers will swear by LED.

This is why I purchased a Mars II 400 watt LED, it claims at 190 watt actual draw it compares to a 250 watt HID. I also purchased HTG's 250 watt magnetic ballast HPS for comparison.

I can verify it does produce close enough to call it a tie. I have nothing to gain from making this statement. I also know when running my HID in the summer I need to add the cost of running a small 5000 BTU air conditioner continuously. I do not need to do that with the LED. You also need to understand watt to watt is not the best comparison. The LED's spectrum is more efficient than the HID. Also,when you actually compare watts required for indoor growing, consider the air conditioner and blowers running for air exchange. For your green house those might never be necessary. Good luck and Happy Gardening.
Tim
Tiny Tim is offline   Reply With Quote