View Single Post
Old February 14, 2010   #23
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Heirlooms I wouldn't bother with again include Nyagous, Yellow Pear, Large Red Cherry, Hillbilly Potato Leaf, Dixie Golden Giant, Shah Mikado and Dwarf Gold Champion.

There are many other more recently created varieties, either open pollinated commercial varieties or stuff masquerading as heirlooms, that I wouldn't bother with again. But the question was to which heirlooms I wouldn't repeat.
I haven't found any heirlooms yet that weren't worth a repeat. I have found many hybrids that I won't grow because of their taste or lack thereof. The reason why some of the heirlooms don't get too many repeats is that some have little disease tolerance and I live in an area that demands disease tolerance if you want to eat homegrown tomatoes.
That's why I usually have a few Big Beefs for insurance. I have yet to have a year that they didn't make good.
This may be the year that I get some heirlooms not fit to try again due to lack of taste because I'm trying nearly 50 new varieties. I'm trying Royal Hillbilly; I hope it's not the same as Hillbilly Potato Leaf.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote