View Single Post
Old March 30, 2019   #31
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=zipcode;730550]The seeds you find can be for actual shallot or for fake shallot (sometimes called banana shallot).
To get them to bolt, you need certain conditions, since they just multiply when everything is right. Like starting them when it's too cold, or heat followed by cold, something like that.
I also can't say I find anything garlicky about them, but my favourites for fresh eating are the roundish ones which are somewhat pink inside. For example Red Sun (really excellent). The yellow round ones have poor taste (Yellow Moon), like a common yellow onion. The long and small expensive ones have been really too hot for me, and the taste I would personally rate below the round ones (these I have only bought, from France, Nl, Ro, not entirely sure what variety but they were somewhat similar in high heat, might be good for cooking).[/QUOTE
Thanks, zipcode
Several years ago i planted some shallots in the fall. They all bolted.
This time i planted 4 weeks ago. They are round kind that i bought from Asian market. I am using some of them for cooking. Yeah, they are pinkish inside.
The ones i ,ve planted are growing nicely. I hope they,ll bulb. From the number of theeaves i can tell that they are dividing.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote