View Single Post
Old June 1, 2006   #59
DaveNH
Tomatovillian™

Mantis..visited your thread and will post GH comments over there , nice setup!

Rob..I like the cage system, very creative. I'll be using a post trellis. I'll line up the boxes with a post on each end and loop string around the post and plants. It worked well for the outside in ground garden last year.

MsCowpea..You've got me thinking about using the flexible perforated drain pipe. The eggcrate is not all that strong and really needs even support, so a couple ties keep the supports in place when placing everything. On any future ones, I will try a few. I really hated drilling the holes for the screen since I had 25 to make, so the eggcrate made my day.

My next project is an auto watering system for 25 boxes. Thinking of using adjustable drip emitters off a 3/4 poly waterline to each box. I found some that will output 13 GPH for $1.70. The trick will be to balance the pressure so each box get a similar amount of water. Maybe 3 branches supplying 8~9 boxes, each branch on a timed water valve. Just drop the emitter in the supply tube and run it for 10 minutes each day (2 gals). I bought an Orbit timer system which works great on our flower beds. It's has battery operated electronic programable controller, can control 4 lines, includes 2 valves and a brass 4 way manifold. Cost $35! Additional valves are $15.

What is the water usage for everyones tomato boxes? I'm estimating my big plants are soaking about 1 1/2 to 2 gal a day.
Dave
DaveNH is offline   Reply With Quote