Thread: Beets
View Single Post
Old April 18, 2016   #13
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Ok.. I make a lot at a time as I pickle quite a lot of beets. I prefer to use Malt Vinegar but I rarely see it in a gallon anymore and it is expensive buying it in small bottles so I use apple cider if I can't get the malt.

Mixed Pickling spice you will find in the spice rack at your supermarket it usually comes in 2 sizes.

2 litres of Malt Vinegar
1 litre of water
! 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
1 1/2 cups of white sugar'
150 gram packet of pickling spice..

or with a 110 gr packet of pickling spice use 1/2 litres vinegar,3/4 litres water, 1 cup+2tbps of each of the sugars.

Put all of the above in a pan, bring to the boil and simmer for about an hour.. you cab tatse it at this point to see if you want it sweeter but I find this is just right.

Well strain it through muslin and but in large bottle..it will keep forever.

When you do the beets.. twist of the greenery, don't cut and don't cut the root either, they will bleed and you will lose flavor and color.

Cook them whole, simmer till soft.. don't over cook or they will break apart.

Put the pan in the sink and run cold water into it till the beets are cool enough to handle but are still hot, then still while there is water among them, slide off the skins, the water helps. Slice or dice them straight into sterilized jars, I slice mine, if they are babies leave whole. Heat enough vinegar to cover them, bring it to a boil and pour over beets. Put on lids and caps , and water bath for 10 minutes.

You might want to wear rubber gloves otherwise you will have red hands for a week.

You can adjust the sugar to suit yourself but this is exactly as I like it. Half brown and half white gives it a sweetness but also add flavor from the brown.

The perfumed vinegar can be used for many things. I do pickled red cabbage in it, small onions . shallots and even hard boiled eggs sometimes.. now that is real Yorkshire Pub Grub, slightly different way of doing those so let me know if you need to do it.

I use a similar vinegar when I make my English Green Tomato chutney too.

XX Jeannine

Last edited by Jeannine Anne; April 19, 2016 at 04:22 PM.
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote