View Single Post
Old February 1, 2017   #72
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Below are pics of the final steps where the grafted plant is put in the coffee cups of DE.
I take a coffee cup with holes punched in the bottom and fill it to within a half inch of the top with the larger size DE. I make sure to label the cup with the root stock/scion that will be going in it and if you want the date. I then set the cup in an old pie plate and pour the diluted fertilizer in it until it runs out the bottom. Once the DE is wet I lift the cup out and allow the excess water to drain out the bottom. Then I take my forefinger and make a hole in the moist DE for the graft to go into. Then I carefully place the grafted plant into the DE and press the moist DE down to make sure the plant is stable and upright. The more upright the plant the less likelihood of graft separation.
I then place a generous amount of dry DE around the base of the plant for further support and to keep the surface drier. I then remove the lid of the healing chamber and place the completed potted graft into the chamber. I repeat this until I run out of graft worthy seedlings or until the chamber is full. I then mist the chamber making sure to wet the lid well then close it up and put a towel over it to keep it in a more darkened environment. I will only keep the towel on the chamber a day or two usually.

I will open the chamber several times over the next few days and if I see any wilting I will mist the plants. Gradually the opening of the chamber will be more frequent and longer and I will start leaving a good crack in the opening after a few days until I feel they are ready to be exposed to more air and light and totally remove the lid.

We will see how they do in a few days and I'll post more pictures.

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1054.jpg (254.1 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1055.jpg (173.5 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1056.jpg (162.1 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1057.jpg (193.2 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1063.jpg (387.6 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1064.jpg (385.3 KB, 130 views)
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote