View Single Post
Old December 26, 2016   #22
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
When Farm-tek started advertising their hydro systems to grow sprouts, I did a lot of reading about it, which was enough to scare me away from the idea for good. I read about a farm family in England who had killed off half of their cows by feeding them sprouts. They were having problems with contamination. Eventually they found the source of the contaminants to be inside the husks of the grain they were soaking. The guy made up a kind of washing machine to agitate the grain as it soaked, and then used a lot of chlorine powder for pools to continually sterilize his equipment. He eventually got his problems worked out, but it all sounded like a nightmare. Microgreens seem much safer than sprouts.
Being an actual plant and not sitting in a damp environment i think it is a better choice.
Certainly tastes better than those pale sprout stalks. (In grocery clam shells). Cilantro, celery, arugula, etc, micro greens do pack a flavor punch.
This is an interesting read about some of the problems. (with sprouts)http://amazingribs.com/blog/raw_sprout_are_risky.html

We can process a small amount of 'microbial load' as we do every day. Just breathing.
If the load is more than we can handle, or if compromised immune systems, it can harm. Finding the source of an overload is getting a bit easier. Contaminated water, etc.
Factory wash water. Dry weather followed by massive storms and run-off. 'microbial soup'. Hot weather, sitting on hot docks after travel...
Seeds can be holding disease in their seed case that has been discussed with tomato seeds here. Keeping it minimal with dry conditions and a cool environment does balance that imho.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote