View Single Post
Old September 26, 2016   #4
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Carolyn!

Would you say that it should be treated like any other moschata grown for winter use? i.e., let it stay on the vine as long as possible, cure for a couple of weeks, then store in a cool, dry spot?

I take it from your comments about storage that this isn't the kind of squash that will keep until March or anything, but since I have limited space and will probably only have a few mature kikuzas at the end of the season, I can certainly manage to eat them in time, I think. I love winter squash so much that I could easily eat it in some form every day. If I didn't worry about upsetting the neighbors, I'd turn my front lawn into a squash patch!

Baker Creek has it, but I'm feeling a little gun shy on them after the "not Black Futsu" (obviously crossed seed) I got from them this year.

Sustainable Seed Co. has it, but they don't seem to know anything about what they're selling. After some e-mail back and forth because of the strange advice they were giving me, the exasperated rep told me all the growing info was on the website and sent me a link to Cucuzza, LOL. I guess they thought I didn't know how to spell "Cucuzza" and didn't bother to check whether they sell something called "Kikuza". So not a lot of confidence in what they're selling, either.

Unfortunately, the two companies I usually buy Asian seed from, Evergreen (which has had declining service lately and sent me some really old, bad seed last time I ordered) and Kitazawa don't sell it. Maybe if I request it, Kitazawa might consider stocking it.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote