View Single Post
Old January 14, 2008   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Dcarch and others,
Head pressure at 2 feet will be 2.60 psi at sea level and that is if the water level is 6 feet above ground and the place where the gauge is on the ground.
It doesn’t matter what the water weighs.
The formula I use is this.
At 10 feet above the ground the head pressure will be 4.33 so if the water tank was 100 feet off of the ground the pressure would be 43.31 psi.

This would be the pressure on your body if you were 100 feet under water too. (43.31 psi)
Psi doesn’t care if its ¼ pipe or 12 inch pipe it’s all the same.
What will be effected by pipe size is flow.
Sometimes you can cheat by going up on the pipe size to make up for the psi so you will get more flow.

So let’s say that one of the lines tuk50 has is lower by 10 inches the difference would only be about .43 pounds psi.
That’s less than 1/2 pound.
The easiest thing tuk50 can do is get a gallon jug and time how long it take to fill it from one hole of lets say 1/6 inch.
Then he can multiply this by how many holes he has and in this way he will be able to find out how long it will take to empty the tanks.

But there is a problem with this, the lower the tank gets the less pressure he will have.
Thusly the slower the water will come out.
If the tank is 2 feet above the ground then the pressure will only be .87.

Do you guys see where this is going?
There is another thing to consider, the siphon effect.

Let’s say that if you had at the faucet 100 psi and you had to go up 50 feet what would your pressure be?

Since 5X10 is 50 I would multiply 4.33 X 5 and come up with the answer of 21.65.
That’s how much pressure you would lose at 50 feet.
So the pressure 100- 21.65 would be 78.35.
Now here comes the siphon effect. If you then went back down 50 feet the pressure would go back up to 100 psi, SWEET.
This lerts you go up a hill then back down and have the sam pressure.

If you went down 60 feet instead of 50 feet the pressure would be 104.33 psi.
I won’t get into the friction loss in the pipe or the K factor of the emitters, tee’s and 90’s.
I do have manuals for this but I can’t find them right now.
It will be real easy to find out what these will be by experimentation.

Tuk50 if I were you I would forget the tanks and filter the water through 2 large carbon filters to get rid of the chlorine.

Put in a good drip system and forget all of the homemade pipe and holes.

You can get a nice drip system for a lot less than you will pay in the long run by trying to do it with a lot of home made stuff around the house.

I love to make all f my own stuff but even I have to draw the line somewhere.

DIG make a nice mid range affordable system and you can go on line and get every thing you need for a lot less then you think
Home depot sell DIG but they don’t sell everything the DIG makes.

I would suggest you get the ½ pipe 90’s and tees and what not from home depot and the ON OFF drip emitters from DIG direct as the home depot where I live doesn’t sell them.

You guys can check my math but I know I am dead on.
Not bad for a hillbilly kid that hated math.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; January 15, 2008 at 10:46 AM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote