View Single Post
Old January 2, 2018   #18
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keen101 View Post
I DO NOT recommend Blacktail Mountain. It has never grown well for me here in Northern Colorado. I've tried it several years in a row. Still was pitiful. It may have originally been bred in Idaho, but the seed for it is now grown in Missouri and the south U.S. and is not adapted to northern gardens anymore. A breeding collaborator of mine in Northern Utah also does NOT recommend Blacktail mountain. It does not grow for us.

My picks are Sweet Dakota Rose, Yellow Doll, and Early Moonbeam (dehybridized yellow doll by Alan Kapuler).
Keen,you know that I know where you garden in Colorado.

The seed for it is NOT grown in MO and the south US. If you go to Glenn's website you can see where he said HE planted it on such and such a date in 2016, etc. So yes, Glenn in IA is still growing his own seed.

I think you may have confused him with Fusion in Alabama who does grow cotton and peanuts and more for Glenn.

As for your collaborator in Utah, I think you mean Dale Thurber,but maybe Joseph, but I can't remember right now where he is from without checking.

I can agree with your Yellow Doll, very much so for I've grown that one a lot,but all should know it's an F1 hybrid if that's an issue for some.

Glenn lists several short season ones, that I've grown,there are many more I haven't grown, but of those I've grown I can suggest.

Cream of Saskatchewan and Orengeglo.

The reason Glenn lists so many melons is b/c for many years he was the Curator of Cucurbits For SSE. But no more.

Carolyn, watching the temp plunge lower and lower.