View Single Post
Old July 22, 2015   #1
rjake100
Tomatovillian™

Default Weed Seeds in my Lasagna Layers - No Till Questions

I am preparing a couple of beds. The first bed wont be planted until next spring, and I want to start some lasagna layers now. I would prefer to mulch my grass clippings back in to the lawn. As such I dont have a good source for the nitrogen layers in my lasagna. There are a couple of empty lots near my house. These lots are not mowed and are covered in weeds. I am certain these weeds are loaded with seed.

Question 1).

How bad would it be if I mowed that lot and used the clippings in my nitrogen layers? Could I mitigate the risk of emerging weeds by using cardboard as the top most layer?

I have another bed I am using for my fall tomato crop. I dont want to try a bunch of layers now since I am planting it this weekend. For that bed I am going to top of the bed with compost from the dump and some bagged soil conditioner.

Question 2).

If that soil conditioner hasn't broken down by next Spring is there any problem with topping it off with more compost? I am worried that burying the soil conditioner (looks like fine ground pine bark) with another layer of compost will be less than ideal.

Thanks for taking a look.
rjake100 is offline   Reply With Quote