View Single Post
Old August 9, 2011   #3
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I use Teracure or Dragonfire with very good results. The active ingredient for both is wild sesame oil. Lately I've been using the Teracure. It's a custom blend that Poulenger does, and is easier to use with my EZ Flo fertigation tank.

These products normally get applied ~1x/month when a susceptible crop is in and when soil temp exceeds 65F. (RKN are not active when soil temp is < 65F)

In addition, I add dried molasses to the beds as an amendment, and throw some in the planting hole as well. Frequent additions of organic matter are also helpful.

Practically speaking, I don't think there is much you can do long-term to keep them from spreading to other beds (nematodes can move several feet a year), but you can certainly try to slow the spread by cleaning your tools after using them in RKN infested beds.

Fall crop can be tough when you have RKN if you are growing in the same area used for spring crop because they have had all summer at those higher soil temps to multiply. Do yourself a favor and use containers for the fall, or plant in areas you did not plant RKN susceptible crops in earlier in the year. And do use something to treat if not using containers.

Rotation is helpful. At the least, try not to use your problem areas more than once a year or the population will tend to explode.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote