View Single Post
Old August 11, 2011   #6
Elizabeth
Tomatovillian™

Good to know about the chitin. I'll back burner that idea for now.

Thanks for the label - I will give them a call about the Teracure. I wouldn't mind the price on the Dragonfire so much if I felt it would last for a while, but I'm afraid that because it is an oil it might go rancid on me before I got it used (I have a much smaller area to treat than you). The Teracure is appealing since I know lecithin can act as a preservative as well as emulsifier - I would feel better shelling out the cash since I would be more likely be able to use it up before it went south.

I will check my nursery for molasses when I take my soil sample in. I want to find out which species of RKN I have - I was seeing conflicting info on watermelon and corn susceptibility, and I discovered why - they're resistant to some species of RKN and susceptible to others. Erg. Whichever I have likes squash too - I found another 2 beds today that had it - I figured it was the powdery mildew that was doing the butternut and Marina de Chiogga in, I guess I was wrong. I found it quite heartening that I managed to get 11 Baby Butternut squash harvested off the 2 vines today even with RKN. I don't know what's up with the darn MdC - even with hand pollination (I have some little flies that are eating up all the squash pollen they can find so I was giving a helping hand) the plant keeps pinching them off at about softball size. Could that be a RKN thing, or just iffy pollination?

I really appreciate all your help!

If I'm going to water and care for a plant it had better give me food, flowers or shade.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote