View Single Post
Old February 8, 2016   #29
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Okay here is what I did on the fly and took almost to the minute an hour.
Get your roll of twine and set it next to you.
Tie the string to the top of one of the legs and go around the top and tie it back to the leg you started from.
It is easier to do this if you cut the string to the length you need.
Tie clove hitches on each leg as you go around to each leg.
Do the same thing to the next one.
Now figure out where you want the opening to be and tie your string to that side.
Go around as you did before but stop at the other leg on that side.
Keep doing this all the way down the Tepee.
Don't try to make the string super tight as it will just suck the legs in and make the one you just did sag.

I found the best way to figure out how much string you need for each horizontal line is to tie it to the first leg and drape it around the Tepee and add some before you cut it.

Now that you have this done you can start on the vertical string.
Start in the middle of the top string and cut enough string to go to the bottom and add a foot.
Tie the string to the top string.
Now without pulling tie it to the next horizontal string but as you do it lift up on the horizontal string a little.
Keep doing this all the way down.
You will get the hang of tying the string as you go along and get better at it.
Do the same thing to the left and right of the middle string and you are done with that side and you can move on to the next one.

Yes you can add more braces, you can use wire, you can make the web different, you can do a lot of things.
What I wanted to do was make one that cost the very least amount of money I could think of.
The absolute most important thing to not do is split that wood if you do it is junk.
Drill pilot holes and dont over tighten the screws.
The pilot hole in the sticks should be just big enough for the screw to slide through or a wee tiny wee bit smaller.

Now that you see how this is done you can tell by looking at the pictuer how I did the opening.
String cutting hint dont try to cut at a 90 degree angle to the string cut a little at an an angle and the knife will zip right through it.
This is where one of those open and close with on hand knives comes in handy.
In and out of the pocket in a flash with one hand.
Worth

Bean Tepee strig.r.jpg
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote