View Single Post
Old November 26, 2008   #1
maricybele
Tomatovillian™

Default compost question, when is it done?

I hardly ever seem to get my compost done. It stopped steaming last week in the black plastic composter and it turned black, except a few things have not finished breaking down, and it doesn't smell quiet earthy yet. So I moved it to the finishing area and put a tarp over it. My question is, "Is it better to finish in a garbage can with holes or on the ground with a tarp over it?"

I have lots of neighborhood leaves so I needed the bin, so I piled the almost ready stuff and covered it with tarp. I have heard from several composters not to let the rain water get to them and leach the nutrients. Should I move it to a garbage can to finish instead of the earth? Should I put a few holes in the bottom and sides? We live in Oregon and get lots of rain.

Thanks for your help. This year I have approximately 12 recycling cans full so far of leaves and 5 piles of leaves. I just really want to stop paying for compost.
And we have about 30 mature maple and sweet gums in the area that produce tons of leaves. So I am the street cleaner.

Thanks for the advice.
maricybele is offline   Reply With Quote