View Single Post
Old August 19, 2007   #5
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

First let me say thanks to everyone who showed up yesterday. I can’t speak for anyone else but I had a great time.

A couple of highlights, in no particular order:

Remy & hubby coming from New York. That’s dedication. And the dogs were great.

David (Thomas) & wife – first timers – coming from Chillicothe OH. – brought more tomatoes than you could imagine – basket after basket full.

Of course VGary never misses an event. Thanks to Larry and Cathy for joining him.

CHOPTAG dedicated this year’s event to a good friend of Gary’s and to the tomato/gardening community in general, Bert Searcy Jr - known here and at other gardening forums as Spider. Bert past away this past May.

We had a few more first timers come from just over the river in Northern KY. Amy and Tony, who I met this spring when they were selling heirloom tomato plants in Covington, KY brought tomatoes and friends
One of those friends was Mark. Mark only brought one variety. But man is it something special IMHO. Working name – Cherokee Sausage – A beautiful & Tasty (IMHO) cross between Cherokee Purple and Sausage. – (Pic below)

So, on to some of the Award Winners.

The winner of the prettiest tomato was Berkley Tye Dye brought by David.

The ugliest went to Ken, but I don’t think we ever found out what variety it was. He was to ashamed to tell us.
The largest and heaviest went to a Red Barn brought by Terry. Weight – 1lb 12 ¾ oz. – 16 ¾ inches in circumference.

Now for the TASTIEST. While we all love to kid the Southern Hemisphere folks I guess it’s time to acknowledge they produce some great tomatoes. This year’s winner of the CHOPTAG Tastiest tomato goes to none other than Grub’s Mystery Green. Congratulations Grub – David brought the winning tomato so he gets the certificate but you get the honor of knowing you shared a prize winning and tremendous tasting tomato with us.

I’ve attached a few pictures: Most of the gang, Cherokee Sausage, Tables – Mark, Dave, Remy, Earl, Lisa, Gary, Amy, David, Susan, Mine – (Terry came a little late – I apologize for missing her table.), Red Barn – Heaviest & Biggest, And the TASTIEST _ David wit Grub’s Mystery Green.

Back Row – Left to Right:
Steve (hubby of Miss Mudcat), Mark, Dave (Dave Z6), Skip, Steve, Ray (rsolinski), Deborah (wife of JerryL), David (Thomas), Kathy (wife of Earl), Earl, Walt (father of Kathy)

Middle Row – Left to Right:
Char (wife of Dave Z6), Gary (VGary), Lisa (Miss Mudcat), Carolyn, Remy, Susan (Toot-a-loo), Kim (wife of Thomas)

Front Row – Left to Right:
Tony (hubby of Amy), Amy (wife of Tony), Jerry (JerryL)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2700.jpg (312.2 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2669.jpg (201.1 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2671.jpg (230.0 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2672.jpg (218.1 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2674.jpg (232.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 2676.jpg (166.5 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 2677.jpg (152.9 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 2678.jpg (161.8 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 2679.jpg (164.0 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 2681.jpg (158.2 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 2682.jpg (139.7 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 2683.jpg (173.7 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 2708.jpg (137.4 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 2695.jpg (92.9 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by JerryL; September 19, 2007 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Add Names