View Single Post
Old February 8, 2006   #1
nctomatoman
TomatovilleŽ Moderator

Default Some data on pepper seed starting success vs seed age

One of my favorite parts of the gardening season is collecting data on my seeds - (don't laugh...not sure what that says about me!).

But - using the seed starting method that I've posted elsewhere, I have some very early results.

First flat of hot peppers -

seed saved in 2005:

32 cells,

18 germinated in 5 days
10 germinated in 6 days
2 germinated in 7 days
2 don't show anything yet.

Germination ranges from 100% (for 5 of the cells) down to 30% (for one cell), with most around 75-80% (giving me 15-20 plants per cell).

Seed saved in 2004:

9 cells

4 germinated in 5 days
6 germinated in 6 days
2 germinated in 7 days

Germination ranges from 100% (in 2 cells) to 35% (in one cell), with the rest around 80%.

Seed saved in 2003:

5 cells

2 germinated in 5 days
1 germinated in 7 days
2 show nothing yet.

Germination from 50% (one cell) to 100% (two cells).

The other cells has 2002 or purchased seed.

A few observations -

The Hab types have lower germination than other types (probably because it is harder to get the seeds good and dry - they tend to adhere to the placenta, so some retain moisture, which may lead to loss of viability on storage). They also seem to experience stuck seed coats more than other types.

Rocotos lose viability very quickly, or else I just don't have a good touch with them. None of the 3 types I planted - seed ranging from 2002 to 2005 saved - have come up yet (last year, I got a few, but germination was around 10-15%).

Little Nubian is a really tough variety to save and get good viability in saved seed - I paid close attention last year to harvest time and sufficient drying, but I am still getting low germination this year, and it also experiences stuck seed coats more than many.

Pretty Purple is the one ornamental hot I grow that has the more trouble with stuck seed coats.

Overall, though, I am having good success - and they are up pretty rapidly as well. Even the 2003 seed is for the most part germinating very well.