View Single Post
Old May 27, 2018   #7
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the suggestions! There are about 95 bulbs, about eight to the bundle. It's the second crop I've ever grown. The bundles of garlic just have the tops tied together as I have no patience for braiding. Since I have no attic, last year I started out with the garlic loose on a raised screen on a table under the pole shed, then when the roots were pretty dry I tied them in bundles of eight and hung them under the pole shed roof. This year the rain came with mist blowing about so no using the screen after the first week of drying so I had to hang them. Then there was too much moisture in the air so into the shed they went.

It's been raining every afternoon for almost two weeks and now rain from TS Alberta is heading in. I think I will untie them, remove some of the tops and maybe the dirty outer paper layer, then re-tie and hang. Less foliage to dry. When finally dry they'll hang in an unused closet in the house. They held up fine there last year.

I'm growing two kinds, both hardneck Turban types. 'Maiskij' originated in Turkmenistan and the name means May harvest. 'Shilla' is from Korea. Both are large varieties that come up fast and finish in may before our heat sets in. That's why they were chosen. They are planted in mid September and are ready early May.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote