View Single Post
Old December 13, 2016   #37
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

your area should give lots of options for fruit trees, in my experience, I like getting the bigger transplants as the deer can wreck havoc on young fruit tree saplings (sometimes necessary to fence off until they mature a bit). in addition, I have problems with "fire blight" which is a yank it up scenario. they do make resistant varieties in today's marketplace. when planting fruit trees, most varieties require cross pollination but several varieties can cross pollinate. they don't have to be next to each other (birds and bees) and can be planted in isolation or rows. spacing is utmost in rows allowing maximum spread +10ft. I like to plant trees in the fall - summer is too hot and can burn your tree.

blueberries like acidic soil, have you gotten a soil test? (I read through post but might have overlooked)

I have very acidic native clay soil, bulbs do fantastic as well as azeleas, camillas, and other shrubbery. some other things don't do as well.

I have semi-learned, to plant what works best for your soil when it comes to landscaping. yes, you can alter temporarily, but it uses goes back to origin. But I am still hard headed.

as far as a "tree" border landscape, I like to use pecan trees, a big shady wind break that bears fruit.

homesteading a site can be fun and rewarding but a lot of work and expense. plan with some thought in mind. remember all these "things" are going to require a good water source, so, would be best to incorp into home construction while the equipment is there. above all else, having easy access to a water source enhances success greatly.

just a few ideas.

Last edited by My Foot Smells; December 13, 2016 at 01:45 PM.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote