View Single Post
Old September 26, 2020   #8
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaldvs View Post
Hi, I am interested in what varieties you are growing. Similarly, I am retired and have found great satisfaction to offering some less commonly found great tasting vegetables to my followers. In the tomato line I have found “wild boar beauty king, vintage wine, chocolate stripes, Cherokee purple, and pink brandywine to be the ones receiving most praises. For sheer volume to fill out tomato requests with a reasonably tasty, well balanced, attractive tomato, — I have found Big Beef to be a decent selection. I try several heirloom varieties each year, but I am always interested in where others are finding success. Currently, I am seeking a great variety of cherry tomato that is relatively crack resistant and very flavorful. I have had reasonable success with sun sugar or sun gold, but these plants seem to have a higher propensity for early blight. Unfortunately, this year the squirrels stripped all my green tomatoes in two of my plots. This never happened to me before so if anyone has any ideas on how to address my squirrel challenge, I would greatly appreciate thoughts. BTW, I tried several approaches to save the crop, but within 3 days 50 plants were completely stripped. (Except cherry tomato plants that the chipmunks are taking there dining more slowly).
If it works for you, a dog that can be trusted to stay in the yard is a really good critter deterrent.

Labs, Shepherds and retrievers, especially as they get older and more "settled down"

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk