Thread: Container Size
View Single Post
Old September 26, 2018   #13
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala Doug View Post
How about running a little test next season?

You could buy various sizes of fabric containers and see which one works the best for you in your particular climate. Everybody giving advice will do so based on their own personal observations (and their own climate)... and that might not be applicable to your situation.
I so agree with that ^.
I've been testing 1,2 and 5 gallon felt grow bags the past two seasons with great success. (thick recycled 'felt' bags from
greenhousemegastore) Not wallmart thin shopping bags. Micros in 1 gallon, dwarfs in 2 gallon, and Indies in 5 gallon.
...much better than the 10-15 gallon plastic nursery pots that trees came in. I still use those for snacking cherries...SunGold,
etc. ...but I can do better in the driveway. We had Texas heat this season.
Nice thing about the felt bags is the wicking of moisture. Mine sit in 1/2 inch deep trays so no overwatering but also no wet
feet. Sure my needs are different. I want 36+ dwarfs for comparables and 3 dozen micros I'm moving forward to F7 and F8
now. (this on a deck outside my kitchen door)
The Catskill farm is in-ground grown. Experimenting for your growing conditions is eye-opening what is possible. Never thought
I would see such gorgeous fruit from a two gallon grow bag. The 5 gallon felt far exceeded the 15 gallon plastic pot for my
SunGold, CubanYellowGrape and MagliaRosa.
I've learned so much from AkMark and others by testing no mater the location and climate. Small adjustments.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote