View Single Post
Old August 3, 2016   #10
dheideman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLJ_ View Post
That's beautiful -- thanks for posting it!

I found it particularly interesting that it's a Livingston document that lists Aristocrat as no longer in production.

But Aristocrat may yet turn up in some seed bank/collection, public or private, or as someone's "great grandma always grew this".

It's an informational brochure, rather than a catalog, isn't it?

Do you know the date? My guess would be the 1930's, as the last section mentions Marglobe under five of its six 'most popular" headings -- and it should have probably been in the sixth, home gardening, as well -- as it was certainly popular with my grandmother, and many others, as a "does it all workhorse" for the home garden by that time.

The famous Marglobe was developed by Pritchard of the USDA by crossing Marvel -- a selection he created and stabilized around 1918 from Merveille des Marches (Marvel of the Market) -- with Livingston's Globe.

Though Marglobe was released in the 1920's, it was more well known in the 1930's -- plus the brochure mentions two Marglobe children, Pritchard (released as Scarlet Topper, but renamed Pritchard after the developer's untimely death in the early 1930's), and Break O Day, also a Marglobe child developed by Pritchard, released in the early 1930's)

So it seems that brochure couldn't have been printed earlier than the 1930's -- and if it had been as late as the 1940's it would probably have also mentioned Marglobe's child Rutgers.
It had to be published between 1932 (because it cites data from 1931 and 1939 (Livingston moved to field seed and stopped selling tomatoes in "the late 1930's", says http://www.saveseeds.org/biography/l...n/history.html )
dheideman is offline   Reply With Quote