View Single Post
Old February 14, 2018   #8
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

There was a similar thread here last year. While I never grew Coronado Crown, I was also looking for a new variety as Packman, my first early variety, had been discontinued.

The year before I had tried Blue Wind as a replacement. While early, it was a disease magnet in my garden. And the disease spread to other cole crops but started in the Blue Wind. We make 3-5 plantings / year and it was the same every planting.

Last year we tried Lieutenant, Green Magic, Castle Dome, and Artwork (second year for this) in addition to our regular Gypsy and Arcadia. While we got some good heads from all of them, some varieties did better in 1 planting and awful in another. I was less than impressed with Lieutenant. Castle Dome and Green Magic were just OK, but not for the first spring planting. Frankly I wasn't impressed with either but since I still have seeds they will get another chance. But We have liked Artwork the last 2 years. It doesn't have a very large main head but it comes quick, almost as soon as Packman. And it gives a lot of nice side shoots quite fast.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote