View Single Post
Old January 7, 2017   #4
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I've had the same experience as Gerardo with the hoppy IPA's like SmuttyNose and
DogFishHead. They do muddy up if i add a bit in place of water. Fine in my BBQ sauce.
Not great in stocks or chowders.

I stock a box white and red just before the Thanksgiving holiday that lasts through the new year for cooking. Good enough to drink if needed. Even for a guest that stops by in
the afternoon and wants a sip of something.

NewYears we braised our City ham using Julia's method on the stovetop with white wine
and water for two hours, then into the over slathered in a wet rub. We used a ton of Turkish spices and maple syrup. We still had the nice crispy chewy edges. The braising drew out a ton of salt and tenderized.

Snow falling now but i doubt a power outage....decided to make a mixed seafood grill/sear, scallops, shrimp, chunk of salmon,
in the big cast iron tonight being home-bound. Over pasta using fresh frozen garden tom Heirloom slices. A packet of roasted/smoked hatch chilis. (cleaned out the freezer and found pay-dirt. Six flat-packed small packages stuffed in the back). I think i'll use a bit of vodka when i caramelize some big onions for that.

Gotta love freezer shopping....

Could really use the beer ingredient help. I do make a mustard with rich beers.
1/2 cup white or black mustard seed
cold beer to cover, about 1/4 cup, rest one hour
1/4 cup ac vinegar, rest a few hours then into fridge overnight
with spices of choice....dried or fresh chilis, cumin, garlic, savory, etc
salt pepper
blender high power to desired grainy or smooth
add maple syrup or honey to taste
-lots of variations
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote