View Single Post
Old July 16, 2007   #13
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Default All that zucchini!

My family adores zucchini - so we have 8 plants up on top of the hill, all with tiny baby zucchini on them. Here's our long-time favorite way to cook zucchini. One year when I was in my teens Dad zucchini (prior to that time all our summer squash had been yellow), a vegetable that we never saw in old New England. When the harvest first started rolling in Mom and I spent quite some time looking for suitable recipes. We happened upon this one in an Italian cookbook (long gone, name forgotten) - one of the earliest members of my cookbook collection. The rest is history ......

Granny's Zucchini

Slice about 1 medium sized zucchini per person and one medium to large onion for every 2 zucchini. Heat 2 or 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large, wide pan. Add the onions & zucchini along with 1-3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped. Cover and cook 5-10 minutes, stirring now and then, until the vegetables become translucent and limp. Remove the cover and stir in grated Parmesan. How much is up to you. We adore it with about a cup of Parmesan to 5 or 6 zucchini, but often make it with far less in the interests of diet or pocketbook. You can, BTW, add tomatoes to this.

On the Grill: Put the zucchini, onion & garlic on a large piece of heavy duty foil. Sprinkle with the olive oil & finely chopped garlic. Roll and seal the seams to make a leak-proof packet. Grill about 40 minutes, turning several times. Add cheese just before serving.

What's your favorite way to use zucchini?
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote