View Single Post
Old March 3, 2017   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Dear Carolyn,
How would they know you still wanted a catalog? Expecting one sent at their expense without you specifically requesting one when there is a paperless option seems strange to me.
how can the shipping people at this big company possibly know that you want one, are still at the same address or are even still be alive for that matter unless you tell them.
Paper catalogs will be a thing of the past for every seed company eventually as so many people request expensive printed paper catalogs that never place an order.
More and more catalog sales companies of all kinds are going paperless, garden catalogs are one of the last holdouts in my observation and that is likely due to a rural and older audience overall. This is changing slowly but surely as Internet is better and almost everyone has access to a computer these days.
KarenO
Karen,you've said the same thing over and over.

I was not the only one who missed the notice in the Fall Heritage magazine.

Your assumption that everyone has a computer re SSE issues is not what I know,I could list many who are not oldsters who still refuse to use computers,their choice, whether at home or in a nearby library such has we have in our own local library.

I hope you didn't miss my own issue of not being able to see what those of my seed producers, who are also listed members, listed which would help me a lot in terms of a seed offer.

Yes my seed producer group has a spreadsheet off of which they chose what they want, there's also a germination page that goes with that, but as to performance and specifics,no,they don't indicate that,well a few do via group e-mails.

Two years ago Glenn Drowns at Sandhill gave up sending out catalogs except in those circumstances where one was justified,again,his choice,due to the increasing costs of printing,binding, postage and mailing.

I used to get many catalogs since I preferred sitting in my recliner chair rather than sitting at my computer, but after you don't order anything for a few years,off you go from their mailing list.

Examples for me include Johnny's and Baker Creek and the one up in Maine, owners name is Tim, I haven't been sent that one recently since I hadn't ordered. No need for me to list the ones I still get since most of them I do order from and that includes replacements for perennial flowers,or interested in trying something just out,or whatever

I use catalogs primarily as a research tool to help answer questions here at Tville as well as at idig, and for those who just e- mail me out of the blue, which has been happening more frequently.

You wrote

(How would they know you still wanted a catalog? Expecting one sent at their expense without you specifically requesting one when there is a paperless option seems strange to me.
how can the shipping people at this big company possibly know that you want one, are still at the same address or are even still be alive for that matter unless you tell them.)

Nothing strange about it at all since as I said above I was still getting all the publications,not being sent back to sender, and it's all about my being a LIFETIME SSE memberr since 1989.

Carolyn