View Single Post
Old July 31, 2012   #8
RayR
Tomatovillian™

This is very interesting and I'm gaining a new appreciation for Streptomyces bacteria. I've found a few studies that show that some strains of Streptomyces have been found to be resistant to low levels of heavy metals, including Copper and actually produce enzymes that reduce copper ions to copper oxide, which is also an anti fungal compound and also deadly to some bacterial pathogens. I don't know where Streptomyces lydicus WYEC 108 fits in here, but what Boomer seems to be saying in that it is at least resistant to low levels of copper like in Soap Shield.
Copper Octanoate actually has very low levels of copper compared to other copper fungicides, but the combination of copper with a fatty acid is somehow able to deliver an equivalent effect on pathogens

Another reference to Actinovate and copper is on Natural Industries web site concerning Citrus Canker:

Three years of IFAS research has demonstrated that, against Citrus Canker, Actinovate AG in combination with low rates of copper outperforms high rates of copper alone .

RayR is offline   Reply With Quote