View Single Post
Old August 11, 2013   #2
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

I actually didn't know runner beans are good for drying, will try that. what variety are you growing, and how did they perform in the garden? i am growing some Liberty Runner beans i purchased seeds from England, supposed to grow to 2 foot long. they are vigorous, producing lots of nice red flowers, just the earlier ones did not turn into beans, now we have lots of baby beans, we'll see how they taste, they sure grow fast, thanks for the tip on dehydration.
I have not grown the other varieties you mentioned. We (living on a farm in china) used to dry a type of flat snap beans when they were young before seeds form, cut into thin strips, sometimes mixed with wood ash, which washes off easily, it looks yucky but it speeds up the drying process, and the beans retain it's green color nicely, they were dried under the sun. The beans were never blanched. When used, They are soaked in water to rehydrate, then stewed or stir fried with meat. Then they are very different in texture and flavor than when they are fresh. I don't think they taste good at all without cooking, too tough and dry.

Last edited by NewWestGardener; August 11, 2013 at 10:06 AM.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote