View Single Post
Old August 4, 2016   #11
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Imp, Nematode, and Bower for your input. Stating you read the radish article and found it interesting has helped build this thread.
Thank you all!

Robert thank you for posting your observations. I greatly appreciate you sharing your thoughts on using Purslane in your garden as a ground cover. Thanks again Robert.

I plan on pickling some of the longer stems. The reddish stems have a mild favor, similar to yellow wax beans, so I would think a dilly bean recipe would work well. I don’t eat the leaves because I have had problems with kidney stone and the leaves contain Oxalate which may contribute to kidney stones.

Some interesting thing about Purslane below;

"Purslane contains more omega-3 fatty acids (alpha-linolenic acid in particular) than any other leafy vegetable plant. Studies have found that Purslane has 0.01 mg/g of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). It also contains vitamins, mainly vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol), vitamin B, carotenoids, and dietary minerals such as magnesium, calcium, potassium, and iron."
“Also present are two types of betalain alkaloid pigments, the reddish betacyanins (visible in the coloration of the stems) and the yellow betaxanthins (noticeable in the flowers and in the slight yellowish cast of the leaves). Both of these pigment types are potent antioxidants and have been found to have antimutagenic properties in laboratory studies." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portul...acea#Nutrition

"Chemical constituents include noradrenaline, calcium salts, dopamine, L-DOPA, malic acid, citric acid, glutamic acid, asparagic acid, nicotinic acid, alanine, glucose, fructose, and sucrose."
"Betacyanins isolated from Portulaca oleracea improved cognition deficits in aged mice. A subclass of homoisoflavonoids from the plant showed in vitro cytotoxic activities towards four human cancer cell lines." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portul...l_constituents

Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.

Last edited by Dutch; August 4, 2016 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Spellin
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote