View Single Post
Old February 28, 2018   #5
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
Kale does great here in Virginia over the winter - it only seems to suffer for a few weeks with cold temperatures and short days then it really bounces back.

With our heavy, wet clay - potatoes have not faired as well. I've tried planting them in mulch in spring and fall but was not impressed with the results. It's probably time to try again since my soil is improving with all the leaves added over the last 3 years.
A friend has been working on laying down all kinds of mulch material, and in a few months the hard clay soil started to become loose and friable on the top. The organisms work down from the top mulch into the hard soil, and the mulch keeps that hard material moist easier for organisms to burrow.

Last year I started a new bed and used what I had on hand. Filled a few inches of shavings and mixed it up with the very old horse manure. Added more shavings. ANd tossed on all the weeds. Plot did ok and son had a great time digging thru to collect the potatos. A bit early, but he had fun. Likely a bit better poundage if had been left longer.

I did this based on the online growing using the M method. SOrry the full name is elusive. DIdnt add any special supplements but I now understand supplements are beneficial. Of course no ashes, which I have tons of. Due to wood stove. I do have lots of calcium ! I keep all egg shells, heat in microwave or oven, the crush underfoot. If I want a finer powder, I set my son on that chore using the coffee bean grinder.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote