View Single Post
Old January 2, 2018   #126
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwin View Post
Your PL plant is a interesting development. What is the fruit like?
Yeah, i don't know yet. Trying to grow it indoors is probably not ideal. It has started to develop a few fruits they fell off later. I'm trying to keep it watered with some extra flower and fruit hydroponic nutrient fertilizer. It has formed some new flowers and one has formed a small developing fruit from hand pollination. The appearance now resembles the slow formation of the last F1 generation and slow growing fruit, but who knows what it will be like fully developed.

Here is a photo of the F1 parent fruit without the potato leaf trait. [S pennellii hybrid]

here is an old photo of this new potato leaf plant without fruit. [S pennellii hybrid]

p.s. I will add that the pennellii strains do not have the characteristic "tomato smell", but nor do they really have a bad "wild tomato" smell either. Hardly any smell at all, if any smell it is a very light almost lemony smell kinda like lemon basil. Not terrible at all. So i'm really liking that. Some of the other wild tomatoes smell funky. But i kinda think normal tomatoes don't always smell the best either in large numbers. I don't know. Will be interesting to see how smells develop in future generations and how those smells affect flavor.

Last edited by Keen101; January 2, 2018 at 03:19 PM.
Keen101 is offline   Reply With Quote