View Single Post
Old June 26, 2018   #20
bower
Tomatovillian™

Default Skipper F4 determinates

Another late surprise, one more of the brown Skippers turned out to be determinate - it's in the same 'multi' tub as the earliest purple.
All three determinates have a different architecture/growth habit/ determinate patterning. The late one has a longer truss with 9-11 flowers, the other two have seven per cluster. The earliest one has longer internodes and more leaves between clusters, compared to the most prolific one, pictured last below. Yes those are aphids on the fruit. They were promptly killed as soon as I saw them in the picture.
All of the brown Skippers have the 'pointy' end to some extent, whereas all the purple Skippers from my selection this year (just one line chosen from the farm Skippers) have swallowed up the early points to become quite round. So the expression of the points is not entirely environmental, although that is a factor. Purples overall were later than the browns, as well. So I will likely grow out a different purple line next year, as I think mine were prettier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SB4-DET-grnfruit.JPG (354.3 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg SB5-DET-grnfruit.JPG (175.6 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg SB1-DET-grnfruit.JPG (247.7 KB, 90 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote