View Single Post
Old May 5, 2017   #7
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Thanks, that's what I needed to know. I will plant them outdoors then.

No they weren't from true seed, they were from sets I bought at William Dam. There were about eight large bulbs in the package.
You might already know this, but if they were from true seed, you'd probably have some bunching onions on your hands instead of shallots. Shallots can grow seed, but it's supposed to be rare.

We've got some things that are supposed to be shallots of some kind or other. I'm comparing Crimson Forest bunching onions grown from seed to them (they're on their second year while the shallots have been around more years). Bunching onions are pretty easy to grow from seed, in my experience. That reminds me that I need to plant the rest of my Ho Shi Ko seeds, this year (I started four cells of them about a month ago in the greenhouse, and I want to direct-seed the others). I direct-seeded all the Crimson Forest seeds, in moist, clay soil (too late in the season in most people's minds; I let them all overwinter, and they all seemed to survive -21° F. and several feet of snow without problems), last year. They sprouted in large numbers from seed last year while regular onions didn't sprout at all in that soil.

I get the impression that they grow greens faster and/or taller than our shallots.

Our shallots survived the winter, too, of course.

Last edited by shule1; May 5, 2017 at 04:00 AM.