View Single Post
Old May 26, 2017   #37
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post

shule1, if it was store bought garlic, it probably didn't sprout because it was treated. It happened to me with shallots. I planted normal grocery shallots, only one sprouted after a loong time, and I multiplied from there next year. It was a great shallot. I think they do this to make it last longer, not to prevent you from growing it, but who knows.
It wasn't grocery store garlic. I've never seen bulbils there. The bulbils were ones I harvested myself. The original source for our garlic, which we've had for years (just letting it grow every year) was Andrews Seed, but it's an unknown variety with a little red in it, though.

It may have been too hot for them to grow in the fall when I planted them, or else the zapping I did as a precaution against disease may have stressed them for a while (quite likely; it doesn't bother seeds, but it may be different for bulbs, cuttings and plants). Whatever the case, just letting them sit in storage for a while makes sprouting them easier (since they sprout somewhat in storage).

Last edited by shule1; May 26, 2017 at 04:17 AM.