View Single Post
Old August 1, 2021   #1
jhouse
Tomatovillian™

Default removing diseased plant mid season question

Hi all,

I have spots on most of my cherry tomatoes (on the fruit not foliage). My other tomato plants are not affected so far.
My county's cooperative extension thinks it looks like bacterial spot -- (a member here thought it looked like anthracnose) -- and suggested removal of the plant to prevent spread.

What is the best way to remove this plant with minimal risk of spreading this to my other plants? They are in a straight row, about 5 feet between plants. I used weedblock so there is lawn at the edge, so almost no soil is visible -- should I cover the diseased plant with a large bag (I have one for Christmas Trees so will fit over the plant) and cut it off at ground level?

If I pull it out of the ground, that will bring soil to the surface and if the soil has disease, seems like it could spread to the other plants that way? Or if I cut it and leave the root in the ground, would the root grow more disease?

Thanks for any thoughts -- I'd like to know what you more experienced gardens have done to safely remove diseased plants

Jan H.
jhouse is offline   Reply With Quote