View Single Post
Old November 20, 2016   #12
bower
Tomatovillian™

IMO so far, kelp makes the best mulch as it doesn't prevent the garlic from coming up as it shrinks and dries in spring, and doesn't have to be removed. And no weed seeds in it.
I mulched some with leaves and that was fine, only but a few grass seeds got in it.
Mostly mulched with grass clippings last year and I was less pleased. First the birds got into it and tore it apart looking for bugs. I put it back and then realized, it was matted down and keeping the sprouts down. So I took it off. Also I think because of the light color it was keeping the soil colder in spring. Kelp and leaves are dark so will tend to absorb heat which is good for us here anyway.

We are having very warm weather in November as well. Hard to believe my garden is still pretty green, highs up to 60 F or more is not normal for us this time of year.
On the other hand, very wet weather and lots of fog, taken with the short days, not much risk of the garlic breaking ground. I just checked and saw no sprouts. I planted early this year, just a week into October.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote