View Single Post
Old September 4, 2019   #38
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Christmas Prime Rib

Every year for the last several years, my brother Jim and I have been cooking beef for my moms traditional Christmas dinner at her house, since the family's appetites have grown so has the menu.

Jim usually does the Beef tenderloin and I do the prime rib.
I do the prime Rib at home and Jim does the Tenderloin at Moms... the way he does his loin and the way I do my Prime Rib, there's just no way to utilize the oven for both.

• I refinished my Cutting board and picked up a Razor Sharp, Victorinox Fibrox 8-Inch Chef's Knife. I told Laura she was forbidden to use it, she could cut herself on a butter knife.

• Picked up the PR From Restaurant depot at $7.38 a pound

• I Halved the PR, well I actually went heavy to one side, the one side was thicker, the roast side was at 8 pounds.

• The other half was cut into 15-20 oz. steaks.

• I trimmed off some of the fat as it wont be needed on the steaks.

• Then Vacuum sealed, labeled and frozen.

• OK back to the Roast, all fat trimmings were chopped and reduced, the rendered fat (lard) is saved for another day.

• Onion is chopped

• Buttered Dutch Oven.

• Trivet is buttered and placed in the bottom of the Dutch Oven.

• Beef gravy is mixed from beef base and a stick of butter is melted in a cup of soy sauce, I added a 1/4 cup of Worcestershire this year.

• Rendered beef bits are added, (this really adds flavor to the gravy)

• Onions are added

• Beef gravy is added about three cups, i only used 1-1/2 but I suggest 3 cups

• A half cup of Knob Creek is added.

• OOOPS, I mean 2 cups of knob creek is added.

• Some trimmings are added for the stock

• Prime Rib is added.

• Soy, Worcestershire and Butter mix is poured over top of the roast.

• Decided to use my Philly Style Rub this year in place of the Montreal Steak Seasoning.

• Oven preheated to 550° and timer set to 40 minutes (5 minutes per pound)

• After 40 minutes at 550° Roast will stay in the oven undisturbed two more hours

• Roast is removed after 40 minutes cook time at 550° and 2 hour rest... I checked the temp of the oven when removing the roast and it was at 110°.
  • I could tell it was pretty rare inside because the way the meat jiggled around, but wasn't sure just how rare it was.
  • Gravy was drained, strained reheated and 2 cups of water were added for the Au Jus.

• Foiled and left the top open so the bark would not soften too much. Bowl and towel on bottom of the cooler.

• Foiled paper plate laid on top.

\

• Towel on top, lid is placed on top and ready to be sliced in 2 hours.

• Jim's Beef Tenderloins

The beef tenderloin was great but the first few outside cuts tasted gamey, Jim's gravy was awesome as well as the rest of the tenderloin. The prime rib was great but a little too rare in the center 1/3rd. Most of it went but it was a tad too rare for my family but not me. I think next years roast will be 6 minutes a pound instead of the 5 minutes per pound

The crust was freaking incredible and the gravy blew my mind... musta been all that Knob Creek...lol. I could have added more liquid to the DO as it pretty much cooked off.
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote