View Single Post
Old August 2, 2016   #7
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tash11 View Post
Around here I have seen 10# box go for as low as $1-$3, but they seem to do more like $5-8 or so. Cherries seem to be about $1-2/pint, but sometimes as low as a quarter.

Now peppers can be $6-8 a peck (about 8-16 peppers depending on size) for colored ones. Superhots get up there even for just a single pint.

I haven't been yet this year but I checked the market report and this is what they have been up to recently:

peck bells 2.00- 6.00
bushel bells 1.00-8.50
peck hots 2.00- 8.00

10# tomato- 1.25- 17.00
10# green (unripe) tomato- 2.00- 9.00
10# yellow tomato- 7.00- 17.00
pint cherries .25- 1.70
˝ bushel canners 1- 10.00

That's from the past week (four auctions). I am sure some of the variation was sellers bringing different quality and some was buyers.

What kind of buyers do you usually get? The auction here seems to have a mix of locals getting stuff to put up, and commercial buyers who can be split into the ones who will make things (like salsa) and ones who just go and resale at parking lot 'farmers' stands and a few from grocery stores.
We have a unique produce auction, in that we auction in small quantities with the high bidder having the option to buy the whole lot. This type auction draws people who just want a single mess of something like a farmers market would.

Another funny story..
One year an Amish kid about 10 years old had cleaned his garden up and brought several items to auction, beans, corn, a few tomatoes and such. In the kids lot was a pint container that had a single tiny broccoli spear laying in the bottom of the container. Being it was August, and hot and dry, the little spear sure didn't look good. The auctioneer grabbed the container and started it out at 50 cents. Not a single bid after trying and trying to get a bid. The auctioneer then told the crowd to help the kid out, WHO will give something for the broccoli. Finally a lady bid 25 cents, then someone uped the bid to 30 cents, then .50, then .75.. .that little spear of broccoli ended up bringing $29!
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote