View Single Post
Old November 29, 2016   #5
CassInVic
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the heads up CR, I have plenty of stakes spare so will rig something up if/when they get bigger. We made the raised beds out of some old roofing sheets I got from Freecycle - soooo much cheaper then pre made ones.

The good news is everything is still alive!

The yellow pear and Cherokee purple were planted out 18/11 and green zebra on 25/11 (had to do some thinking about where to put them). One of the GZ was looking a bit poorly by the time I put him out but seems to be making a good recovery in the rich soil where the chicken coop used to be.

Here is my first-planted Tom last Wednesday, putting on a good amount of growth.

A few plants have flowers open but no set fruit as yet.

The smaller Tommy Toe in the raised bed (back left) is sickly and the Cherokee Purples also seem to be struggling to get started. I read that purple veining on the back of leaves (which the small ones have) can be a sign of nutrient deficiency so have given everything a nice drink of liquid fertiliser and Epsom salts.

Not sure if I said in my original post but we only bought the soil for the raised beds this year and although it was marketed as a 'veggie mix' the PH is a bit high. Working on that.
CassInVic is offline   Reply With Quote