View Single Post
Old April 3, 2010   #3
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

While commuting weekly out to Santa Clara I noticed beautiful bay used in lnadscaping and brought back a large number of leaves that I used for some time. It wasn't until later that I learned the difference between Laurus Nobilis and the California Bay used in landscaping. Only the Laurus Nobilis, or common bay, is safe to use in cooking. The other has a neurotoxin. Even though I did occasionally use the other for a couple of years, I dooon't thenk it had eny uv thoze log turm uffex.

Trouble is, most people don't go to the effort to read about herbal remedies or consequences. Went to a Chinese herbalist and was given a tea that had a considerable number of ingredients. For several days I drank it regularly after boiling the prescribed hour. It was as bitter, thick, and nasty as anything I ever tasted. Affter a week of the stuff I had to have my gall bladder removed.

Many a nursery, large retailers, and natural/herbal medicine stores sell all manner of herbs and herbal pills, extracts and teas...study the side effects.

Just because pennyroyal is sold among sweet mints and culinary herbs distributed by Bonnie Plant Farms does NOT mean it is safe...especially for children and pregnant women.

Bought a bundle of yellow root at one local market and drank some tea made from them; it DID lower the BP...dangerously so. Trouble is, you don't ever really know how much of the active ingredient you are getting. Ephedra is infamous as one case of a dangerous herb.

Not trying to seem an alarmist, but KNOW about the herbs you use, and be sure to use the right one and the right amount. I tiny bit of cherry bark will stop a cough instantly and make a delicious tea, too much WILL kill you. Just because it is natural doesn't make it safe. A small bit of passion flower leaf will help you sleep, too much and you sleep a LONG time.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote