View Single Post
Old March 15, 2011   #10
camochef
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttgirl View Post
Funny, I just saw this thread. Camo, I hope some of the good ones came from me!
I think that original article (well, there may be another earlier one), was when I got mine. I got plenty of seed in my first pack, and I think I may have directed Camo to the article and was surprised when he told me he only got 4 seeds!! I guess people weren't so forthcoming with the seeds that year, or maybe they were flooded with requests.
Puttgirl,
Yes the good seeds came from you and Jay in Kansas. The original Doug Oster offer was from an article I read in our local paper. Unfortunately they never germinated for me so those from you and Jay were a great replacement.
Even though I'm cutting back this year on tomatoes I did manage to start a couple of them.
They are a tasty tomato, and all of mine have been P.L., fairly large beefsteaks and without any fluted shoulders. I wouldn't call them late season either. Maybe not quite as early as Barlow Jap, but like most of my larger slicers they all ripen about the same week as my Pink Brandywines.
If there was any reason to complain, it would be that they show signs of septoria/early blight before many other varieties. Usually around the same time as it shows up on Stump of the World.
Hope your season is progressing well. Enjoy!
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote