View Single Post
Old November 13, 2014   #34
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=kurt;437108]"got the fungus that causes spots and yellowing leaves."

If you are seeing a star shaped legion with a black interior it is caused by a leaf miner(blotched leaf miner).A member here(ChrisK)diagnosed it for me years ago.It is a little black fast moving fly that lays the egg then the leaf has a somewhat star shaped spot then eventually the whole leaf turns yellow.Removing affected leaves to stop life cycle and a spinosad spray regimen will stop it, takes time though.

My sad looking basil most likely had downy mildew. It infected a plant inside the house as well as the transplants that were growing outside for winter growing. Downy mildew came out of nowhere with a vengeance hitting everyone's garden and all the stores selling basil in this area, but its been lurking in other locations 2008. Just in case we have the leaf miners paying the midwest a visit anytime soon, is there any particular time of day we can snag the little mischief makers?

High Mowing Seeds has a dm resistant variety, but it is backordered as is the cold tolerant Kiera variety. TV effect!

- Lisa

Drew, what's your secret to growing under lights ? I have T5's but the growth rate is sooo slow and sparse. Does fertilizer play a part inside?

Hermitian, where did you get your Greek Columnar Basil ?

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; November 13, 2014 at 07:36 PM. Reason: not finished with post
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote