Thread: Fermenting.
View Single Post
Old October 24, 2017   #706
Karrr_Luda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWestGardener View Post
Thanks, I will give that a try. I imagine the near ripe ones are more flavorful than the little ones, more sugar in them.

BTW, fermented turnips are great, the best way to eat it anyways, as they have a nice firm texture.
I grew up in a remote Chinese farm near the Russian border, our winters are never without pickled turnips. Actually I suspect the Chinese term for "turnip"is actually borrowed from Russian language. They are always pickled, usually whole, never used fresh. Once ready, they will be julienned, then spiced with chili oil, and sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds.

Chili oil: pure boiling hot oil directly into a bowl of chili flakes.
Thank you!! I shall make some fermented turnips (after my next trip to the grocery store). I tried to ferment some of white long radish by itself, an that was pretty good to my opinion, didn't go too well with my family though, so I ended up eating it by myself, when no one was around. I made round slices and just stuffed them in a narrow jar with some spices and brine. Perfect sandwich topper if you can handle the smell.