View Single Post
Old January 6, 2018   #4
bower
Tomatovillian™

Fred, these are mostly greenhouse grown fruit, in containers 5 gal and up. Once again, I had too many plants for the space, and perhaps waited too long to move some of them outdoors where I have minimal shelter for about 15 plants.
The Rodney line were not prone to splitting, although I did have a few of the de-selected (later and more 'ruffled') fruit split outdoors. The best of the Rodneys are pretty darn good. Sundogs were awful 'boat' shapes very prone to cracks and corky stem end. Black Nipper cherry will split in some conditions if left ripe on the vine.

Here is a picture of one of my outdoor shelters, with a couple of Rodney F3s among others in the 'bus shelter with rails'. The Black Nipper cherries are in the grey tub (2 plants) second from the right next to my 'wood stacker' row by the door. They grew insanely leggy in the big tub and crowded greenhouse, and you can see they're easily as massive as the indeterminates in the blue container next to them... And that is Pink Tiger down the row in a blue pot, next to another Rodney. They both went outdoors a bit earlier than BN F5. Pink Tiger stayed a great compact size with lots of fruit on board. No splits!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-tomatoshelter.JPG (480.5 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg BlkNipF5-leggylarge.JPG (346.8 KB, 164 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote